ISO 27001 (official name ISO / IEC 27001: 2013) is an international standard that relates to the protection and security of information. The Standard provides a comprehensive framework through which an organization identifies, analyzes and addresses security risks of information and ensures compliance with security arrangements in order to keep pace with changes in security threats, vulnerabilities and business impacts.
Also, the standard is subject to different areas of application as well as to differentiating possible processes in the organization that are related to security control management, such as: security policy, security of organization, control and classification of resources, staff security, security of material goods and the environment, operational management and communication, access control, development and maintenance of various systems and business continuity management.
Standard is part of the 27000 series of standards, which also includes:
- ISO 27000 – Overview and Dictionary;
- ISO 27002 – Practice rules for information security control;
- ISO 27003 – Implementation Guidelines; • ISO 27004 – Measurements;
- ISO 27005 – Risk Management;
- ISO 27006 – Requirements for inspection and certification bodies;
- ISO 27007 – Instruction for internal and external checks
- ISO 27011, ISO 27012, ISO 27013…
ISO 27001 provides the necessary framework to create a secure system. ISO 27001 compliant system will provide a systematic approach to identify and combat the full range of potential risks to which the organization’s information is exposed. It defines four main areas of the information protection system with its requirements:
- Information Security Management System (ISMS)
- Responsibility of the management
- Leadership assessment
- Improving ISMS
The ISO 27001 standard is comprehensive because it treats information security from three aspects:
- Informatics – analyzing and defining the performance of IT equipment, access rights, encryption, passwords, protocols and policies from risks of data and information breach;
- Administrative – defining clear instructions, policies and procedures for generating information, their distribution, storage (storage);
- Physical – physical access control, employee records, video surveillance, workstation protection. Through a series of requirements that have to be met, each organization has great benefits from the application of this standard, among which are:
- Compliance with laws;
- Systematic protection against potential costs of malicious use of computers, cybercrime and other negative impacts;
- Improving their reputation among employees, clients and partner organizations;
- Improved sales of services;
- Practical decisions related to security techniques and development solutions;
- The existence of responsibility for the security of information by everyone and at all levels in the organization;
- Reducing costs arising from misuse of information.
It treats standard information as property and provides basic guidelines for its preservation, safe management and use. Like most other standards, it is compatible with ISO 9001 but specifies additional requirements for identifying risks (internal and external) for information security and establishing mechanisms to eliminate or reduce them to an acceptable level. Implementation of this system provides conviction to clients and business partners to act responsibly according to information and to use them and distribute them professionally and safely.
Benefits of the implementation of ISO 27001 system are:
- Competition advantage,
- Compliance with current legal regulations, responsibility for the security of information by all and at all levels in the organization,
- It provides flexibility to the organization when work schedule is interrupted,
- Reducing the risk of damage and loss of information, and therefore costs,
- Greater confidence of clients, employees, associates, institutions and all stakeholders due to the knowledge that their data is safe,
- Maximizing quality and efficiency in work Maintain an optimal level of service to clients and stakeholders.
Implementation of ISO 27001 standards is of strategic importance to all organizations doing business on the market.
By certification you ensure continuous monitoring of your processes by internationally accredited bodies that are specialized in checking and controlling the standards.